Thursday, January 26, 2012

Leadership and Personality

Often times, personality does have a large effect on leadership because many followers try to connect to leaders in some way or another and if a leader can touch an individual on a personal level, they are more likely to have success.  No matter what the position of the leader, this is almost always the case.  President Obama makes it obvious that his family plays an enormous role in his life and for many family-oriented individuals, this may inspire them to be more like Obama and follow his beliefs.  In the workplace, an employee who feels that they have a lot in common with a boss or can talk to that boss about personal issues will be more likely to be more productive and efficient for that boss.  Specific personality traits do play a role in leadership because one's personality will have a lot to do with how they handle their position.  For example, a person who is shy or laid back may make the work environment more relaxing and easy for everyone to communicate while a leader who is strict and short-tempered might make employees feel more uptight and nervous at work.  A leader's personality traits may have a lot to do with how much an employee/follower enjoys being on the job or even how long they stay in the follower position that they are currently in.

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more so. Personality does impact how people handle their positions and all too many times micro managers end up being promoted to positions of leadership because no one cared to pay attention to their personality. Even though I don't like Obama one bit, I do agree that he always makes it a point to include time with his family and to act in a manner that shows he is a family man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with several things you say, like that specific personality traits play a role in leadership, however, connecting to individuals does not always work across the board and I don't believe it makes a great leader. Just because Obama likes his family has nothing to do with his leadership skills, it more has to do with his image. And also, in a work place if I sat there all day and talked to my boss, but he/she never told me to do any work, yea sure I would love them! But, they would most likely be fired very soon. I think there is a balance. Leaders should be conscious of employee needs or wants and be able to sympathize, however they are hired to produce and maximize shareholder's wealth, not have chats. I just feel that this personality trait needs to be expanded more because there is so much more than just connecting with your workers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with most of your points. The president Obama example is a great example for how someone managers their time well enough to included family, friends, and interests. It’s a refreshing viewpoint on how a personality comes out in priorities. I do agree that there needs to be a balance between wants and needs but one or the other doesn’t create an effective leader. An effective leader is a product of their environment, and their personality only enhanced what they already have. Your example of approaching someone in the workplace that is extroverted rather than shy is a good example of personality traits mattering in leadership.

    ReplyDelete